Job Title – Executive Director - California Faith for Equality (CFE)
Organizational Mission: To educate, support and mobilize California’s faith communities around a variety of equality issues as they relate to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT)
community, including marriage, employment discrimination and healthcare.
The ED will guide the newly incorporated California Faith for Equality (CFE), a state-wide multi-faith 501(c)3 organization which provides leadership and education to various faith traditions around a variety of equality issues with a near term focus on marriage equality.
The ED reports to the Board of Directors of CFE and a clergy Advisory Board, and is responsible for the organization's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
In program development and administration, the Executive Director will:
1. Implement the organization’s long-range strategy to achieve its mission, and move toward that
goal with consistent and timely progress.
2. Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of
Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
3. Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of CFE's work.
4. Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state and local
5. Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
In communications, the Executive Director will:
1. See that the Board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important
factors influencing it.
2. Publicize the activities/programs of CFE in conjunction with the PR/Media Coordinator.
3. Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with relevant LGBT and
religious affiliated community groups and organizations.
4. Represent the programs and point of view of CFE to agencies, organizations, and the general
In relations with staff, the Executive Director will:
1. Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
2. Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
3. Encourage CFE staff and volunteer development and education, and assist program staff in
relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
4. Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
In budget and finance, the Executive Director will:
1. Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
2. Work with the CFE staff and Board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates
within budget guidelines.
3. Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work.
4. Jointly, with the executive committee of the Board of Directors conduct the official
correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal
o Acquire full understanding of this unique organization through interviews with staff and board,
review of policies, board and staff minutes, financial reports, website, grant proposals, recent
correspondence and other significant paperwork.
o Develop consistent internal controls, including policies and procedures pertaining to
communications, fiscal oversight, employees, subcontractors, grantors/donors, and government
o Assume supervisory responsibility for personnel including the Director of Interfaith
Organizing, the Community Organizer, the volunteer coordinators and other staff as hired.
• Understanding of and experience in working with the LGBT movement, diverse communities
of faith and communities of Color and their inter-relationships
• Ordination preferred but not required
• Knowledge of and experience with non-profit management
• Proven ability to fundraise including grant writing and donor cultivation
• Experience with principles of community organizing
• Commitment to and experience with coalition building
• Supervisory experience
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Must be able to travel and work some evenings and weekends
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Position Start Date January 4th, 2010
Please send an e-mail cover letter, resume, a one-page writing sample related to fundraising, and the names and contact information of three professional references to: email@example.com
Prior to a new incorporation as an independent organization as of 1/1/10, California Faith for Equality is under the fiscal sponsorship of the UULM-CA. UULM-CA is an equal opportunity employer anddoes not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion,national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital status, disability, family responsibility, veteran’s status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
My Rosh Hashanah Morning Sermon 5778
1 week ago